Introduction: A Personal Schwäbische Story

by Sean Jobst
26 January 2018

I am officially launching this blog as a celebration of the heritage, history and culture of the South German region of Swabia. The entries will focus on different aspects about Swabians and Swabia, and will be added periodically. The subjects will be in no particular order.

Although born in the United States, I am the son of a German immigrant father from Schwaben. My paternal side has deep roots in the Ostalbkreis region especially, including the towns of Baldern, Aalen and Ellwangen. My direct ancestors later moved to Bad Canstatt, which is now an outer suburb of Stuttgart, but maintained the ancestral farm back in Baldern.

Schloss Baldern

Two ancestral lines I am particularly interested in following are my Schneider and Vaas lines. My great-great-grandfather, Alois Schneider, was connected to the forestry service and worked as a groundskeeper at Schloss Baldern, in the early 20th century. My Vaas line has roots in Ellwangen, but were originally of Spanish origin with a "Germanized" surname. I welcome any correspondents in Swabia who can shed any light on these two ancestral lines.

My interests are usually in politics and the social sciences, but I also have some side interests in genealogy and ethnography, especially when it comes to my own personal family heritage and that of my broader Swabian people. This also connects with my interest in history and identity, including the ways that our customs reflect our most ancient traditions.


Traditional village May Pole in Bad Canstatt


Some of my themes will include how Swabian culture shaped the worldview and how this inspired the many Swabian philosophers, thinkers and inventors; how Celtic and Germanic traditions merged in Schwaben; how ancient pagan traditions of our Suebi and Alemanni ancestors carried over through Christianization even into the present day; and interesting stories and accounts from the historical figures and events that shaped our region.

Furthermore, personally walking in various areas of Stuttgart and Bad Canstatt made the places directly associated with my ancestors come alive, so this is also a celebration of what being Swabian means to me. I have as of yet to visit the Ostalbkreis, but that is a primary goal of mine for the near future. Aside from that, these researches and entries will be my celebration of everything Swabian.

Willkommen und Danke Schön!


Me atop the Birkenkopf in Stuttgart

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Animism in Swabian Paganism

Pagan/Heathen Origins of Swabian Fastnacht Celebrations

Reconstructing Swabian Paganism